Tuesday, February 14, 2006

I found this strange

From a post on LGF there is this little tidbit in the middle of his cut of this article about rioters in Pakistan.
In the capital, Islamabad, hundreds of students stormed through the main entrance of the tightly guarded enclave that houses most foreign embassies in the capital, brandishing sticks and throwing stones. They were soon dispersed with tear gas and no foreigners were hurt.

Am I the only one who finds that strange? My understanding (and maybe this is the problem) is that Pakistan is essentially a military dictatorship and that folks there live under military rule. When you talk about a country like that I would assume that "tightly guarded enclave that houses most foreign embassies" would mean soldiers with guns under order to shoot people who try to break in. Even large groups of students "brandishing sticks and throwing stones" tend not to get past heavily armed soldiers guarding something.

I don't know if it means anything but it looks to like there should be more to this story. Am I wrong?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home